Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

I’ve never thought much one way or another about Halloween until right now. As I'm sitting in my living room listening to the doorbell ring more times than it probably has ever rung since Jared and I moved to Germany, I'm realizing how stupid this holiday really is. It has become a day for children to supposedly "dress-up" and go knocking on strangers' doors begging for candy. When I was a child, I remember only going around the neighborhood to the neighbors that we knew before dashing off to grandma and grandpas and aunts and uncles homes to tell us how cute we looked! Of the trick or treaters that came to my home tonight, I only knew one of them. Also, way back when, there also seemed to be a “universal” age limit of when you started or stopped trick or treating. However, tonight I had more babies in strollers that never spoke a word and teenagers coming to my door than the typical children you would expect to see out enjoying this festive evening. One other gripe—why do we have to be doing this on a Sunday night? You are not allowed to trick or treat off post on Sunday because it is a Holy day for the Germans. Thus, why can’t this same rule apply to those of us who live on post? Oh well, at least I saw some cute outfits while giving out some sweet treats to all the “children” young or old. I almost didn’t buy any candy because no one came to our house last year. So I didn’t know what to expect tonight.

If we are going to celebrate this holiday, I would like to see it be more of a carnival where you get all dressed up and go somewhere to play games such as musical chairs, bob for apples, cake walk, hit at a piñata, throw the bean bag into the clown’s mouth, go fishing, etc.

Does anyone else feel the same way about this holiday or do I just need an attitude adjustment?


Enjoy your day!

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment