Sunday, August 29, 2010

Happy Sunday!

I really enjoyed my church meetings today. The sacrament meeting talks were on FAITH and the joint Relief Society/Priesthood lesson was on HOW TO ENDURE ADVERSITY WELL. I love President's Monson's quote, "My beloved brothers and sisters, fear not. Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith.” Before Jared left for deployment, my faith regarding deployment as very small and my future wasn't looking very bright. I always had worrisome thoughts racing through my mind. One night, Jared finally reminded me that FAITH and FEAR do not go together and that I needed to give my worries to the Lord and just have FAITH that everything will turn out for our good. In the last few months, I have seen a big change in myself. Although I really miss Jared, I am keeping busy and learning to be content with the here and now. Yes, I have had my moments of despair, but I think I am much happier about my current life than I ever thought I might be.

I have also discovered that along with FAITH, I need to have a lot of patience—the ability to put my desires on hold for a time. Aside from the worldly desires that are in each of us, there are many things that I want now. I would love to have Jared back home, start a family, live closer to my family in the United States, etc. However, as much as I want these things to happen, they aren't Heavenly Father's will for me at this time. In a recent conference talk, Elder Uchtdorf said, "Patience is not passively resigning, but actively waiting and enduring well. It means accepting that which cannot be changed and face it with courage, grace, and faith. It means doing all that you can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of your hearts are delayed. "

So how do you endure trials, tribulations, and adversity??? For me, it has been to reorient my way of thinking. I have had to really work on being grateful for the things that I do have and look at my trial as an opportunity to grow and as a time for refinement from the Lord. This task becomes much easier as I focus on living my life as I am taught in the Book of Mormon and come to know my Savior on a much more personal scale. Adversity is never fun, but if we have to go through it, we may as well learn what the Lord has to teach us with a smile on our face!
"Fear not. Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith!"

2 comments:

  1. Tammy,
    I really like what you have written. I needed to hear it. Sometimes I stuggle with the "Just have FAITH" So it's nice to have a reminder as to why it's important to have faith. And our future is indeed Brighter with FAITH.
    As to how I deal with Trials or Tribulations. I turn to the Scriputers alot. My new Favorite scripture is in Ether Ch 12 Vs 6, Talking about a Trial of our Faith, followed by Ether Ch 12 vs 26, 27 How the lord gives us trials and we are weak but through us being humble and turning to the Lord and allowing him to bless us. The Lord takes weak things and makes them stronger. I love this. It has helped me through this last month or so. You know When we do things the Lords way and the Lords time things don't turn out how we think they will. They turn out better.
    If we do what we are commanded and live like we are suppose to the lord is bound to bless us. he will bless us according to his will. But the blessing will come...
    Thanks for your post today. I needed it.
    Much love,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this. Its always a good reminder. Thank goodness we have church every week to keep us uplifted and to remind us of these things.

    ReplyDelete