Monday, July 26, 2010

Salzburg, Austria

Last weekend I went on a MWR trip to Salzburg, Austria. According to the brochure, we were going to
  • Ride in a horse-drawn carriage down the historic alleys
  • Stop at a cafe and try "Sacher Torte, " Austria's famous chocolate cake.
  • Go on The Sound of Music tour and
  • Visit Mozart's birth-house

I was so excited to go and do all these fun activities. However, once we arrived, our bus driver, Allen, dropped us off on a side street to begin our adventure in the heavy RAIN, explained to us how to get to the zentrum, and then said he would be back to pick us up at 4 p.m. There was no tour or anything!! When we asked about the Sound of Music tour, we were told that it had already started and would not return in time for our departure. GRRRRR! That was the main reason that I signed up for the trip.

So off Gina, Veronica, and I go strolling down the streets of Salzburg. Our first stop was to H&M to find a new outfit for Veronica as she was already soaken wet. Then I went to tour Mozart's birth-house alone since the home had a ton of stairs and Gina had a stroller where Veronica was sleeping. We planned a place to meet up after I was done with the tour, but we ended up losing each other. After 45 minutes, I had decided to just go off on my own. But then we found each other! For the rest of the afternoon, we walked around the city, went into the Cathedral, walked by the castle, bought the original Sacher torte (which cost 10 euro), visited the US embassy (McDonald's) and then came home. I was so excited to come home and try a piece of the Chocolate torte! But to my dismay, it was nasty!! It was chocolate cake with cherry filling in it. Needless to say, it was a wasted 10 euro. However, I gave it away to a friend who really liked it. McDonald's is known as the US embassy because that's where all the Americans must visit sometime during a trip! Overall, the trip was okay, but I will surely do more investigating before I book another MWR trip.

As for an update on Jared...he is doing well. He past his PT test this week, went for a run with the First Sargent, and always looks forward to resting on Sundays!! Here are a few excerpts from Face book:

July 18, 2010
Can't wait until tomorrow, got my first day off in over a week. Not sure what I will accomplish but i do know i will get plenty of sleep.

July 19, 2010
Ever had the day off and felt lost. I had the day off and could not figure out what to do with my day off. I guess the fact that I am in Afghanistan might have something to do with not knowing what to do with a little free time. My biggest accomplishment of the day was a 3 hour nap. Letter writing seems out dated but maybe I should write home.

July 24, 2010
Looking forward to having tomorrow off. Church, laundry, and maybe a little shopping.
Finally did it. I officially reached 20 pounds lost this week. I hope the weight will keep coming off.

July 25, 2010
Just spent almost an hour trying to upload some photos to post out here in Afghanistan, but Internet must be too slow today. guess i can hope for better luck next time.

July 26, 2010
I went running with the First Sargent today. He is in really good shape and runs long distances, and he was a little shocked when I told him I would run with him and I kept up with home for most of the run. He didn't know someone my size could keep up with him. Love it when ya shock and surprise people.

No comments:

Post a Comment